Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Give me the KY before you shaft me please!!!!

There are few things in life that grind the hell out of me, and one of them is people ripping me (us) off. I have worked outside of South Africa for 15 years and quite honestly there is nowhere else that I have worked that people try their luck as in Ghana.

Case Study 1.

Injury on duty seems to be a license to print money in this country. Take person A. He disregards safety procedures and manages to overturn a crane. In so doing he gets a bang on the head and gets taken to hospital. Two pain pills later he is back at work – until an enquiry sets in and he is sorted. Two weeks later a letter from the local Labour office comes in awarding the guy GHC13.000.000 (ZAR 9.000) as compensation for the injury. I query this award and “suddenly” the injury is “Cerebral Concussion with permanent dislocation of shoulder”. I mean for farks sake!!!!! What is a “permanent dislocation”. Does this mean the shoulder does not fit into the slot again and the poor bugger is walking around with a floppy arm? And where else can you have concussion unless it is cerebral.

Case Study 2.

Man gets thumb caught between pipes. Left thumb is broken. Award GHC 13.000.000 (do you see a pattern forming here?). Have a look at the medical form, and the award is made for a broken right thumb. When you ask the Labour officer wtf is going on, he says he will send the form back to the doctor to change it. I mean hell – why not say his leg was broken as well while he is about it.

Cash Study 3.

Man walks into overhanging pipe with his safety helmet on. Award GHC 9.000.000 – sheesh we got a discount on this one. Diagnosis. Cerebral concussion and Permanent Contusion to neck. Now when I was at paramedics, a contusion was indicated by “broken skin accompanied by bruising”. This poor bugger is going to walk around the rest of his life with a permanent bruise and cuts on his neck. (if the quack er doctor is to be believed).

SO what do you do. You send a strongly worded letter to the Doctor involved requesting reasons for the diagnosis. He obviously ignores it, and when you send a letter to the labour department they kak on you for been “confrontational”

At least give me some KY Jelly when you shaft me to make it a little less painful!!!!!!!!!!

Case Study 4.

We need an item that we fabricated sandblasted and painted. We do not have a compressor, but there is a crew at the back of our land doing odd jobs for people in the area. Ask the lad how much he is going to charge to sandblast and paint, he comes back with the following:

We supply fuel for the compressor
We supply paint and thinners

They will charge us an “extra special price” of GHC 4.500.000 (ZAR 3000.00) – this is for around 2 hours work. I do the mini explode and tell them they are smoking their socks and not to worry, I will do it myself. They want to negotiate – I do not. Eventually they come back and agree to do it for GHC 800.000 (R550.00) and they will supply the fuel for the compressor. We agree – they feel they doing it for cheap, and I have this distinct feeling that they want to rip me off. Sickening!!!!!


I have now vented my frustration – so I can get back to the more mundane things in life, like eating lunch.

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

it feels good to vent ;)

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home