Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Friday, November 12, 2004

Remiss about updates!

I have been quite remiss in my Ghana updates over the last 8 days. To my one reader – that is you! – I apologise. As one can well imagine, things have got all sort of hectic here and for some reason late nights have not been possible due to work, travel and the ubiquitous Imam making 4am my now usual wake up time. Ergo by 8pm I am knackered and considering I squeak home by 7pm (just in time for The Block you understand), writing the missive does not seem to be happening.

Ramadan is over tonight – praise be! – and that means we can go back to the 5am imam alarm clock. Woe be the robed wonder that decides 4am should continue. My tolerance will go out the window in a BIG way and I shall be sending emails to George Bush now that he never has to go back to the electorate and laser sites on a small minaret in Tarkwa could be an option.

We are busy establishing a site at a mine some 40km away from the main office (1.5 hours along a rather interesting dirt road) and it is proving to be a challenging task to say the least. What with trucks breaking down, a 45 ton crane on a low bed doing the slip slide thang on the hill and finding 16 beds with all the bedding to send to camp, it has bought a grimace to the face on more then once occasion.

I have also made contact with a new lady at our Boksburg Office who is handling our staff resource procurement. Helpful, professional and above all unfazed by my warped sense of humor ! Dawne. Tanks – officially (well kinda – on my missive is almost official).

Sooooo. As mentioned the week has been somewhat uneventful, although I am cooking for myself full time as I decided it would be a better option then having to purchase size 40 pants. I am eating meat and salad – no starches and have reduced the quantity of food dramatically. I mean come on!!! Getting back to wok cooking with Garlic, Ginger, Masala, poppy seeds and Jeera, I am a happy lad once again. You will ask the question as to if it has made a difference? - I have no bloody idea! My pants are still tight and the belt is down a notch but it should get better. It bloody well better get better or I will be forced to do exercise *shudder*

Talking about weight loss – Johannes – our mechanic supervisor – managed to get bitten by 12 of the dreaded mozzies and contracted malaria. In a bad way! The poor bugger has been in bed for over a week – interspersed with the odd visit to the local hospital to be drip fed cause he cannot keep anything down, and has lost around 5kg. Not a bad feat when you consider he must have weighed 70kg before he started. Good weight loss program but not one that I have any inclination to try out.

This weekend, my management team and of course yours truly are off to a “think tank” at the local resort (which apparently has stunning conference facilities), in order to present them my vision of the company into 2005. They will then tell me if I am smoking my socks or not. With (hopefully) a few alterations based on their experience, we will have a composite business plan to present to the larnies. This will be the achievement of my third goal in the first six months!!!! – whooo hoooo

On the home front the family is fine and having all sorts of parties without me! *growl* and I am pining like you cannot believe. Homesick(ness) is a bad! thing. That said – there is only 39 days to go until I wing it home – so all cannot be that bad – there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Coupled with that – I am also taking an extra weeks leave over that period, mainly due to the fact it is Robbies 21st and I need to carry out mums last wishes and scatter her ashes down in Durban. – which reminds me – what the hell did I do with the undertaker’s number. They have ashes from other people which have been unclaimed for 6 years, I sure as hell do not want that happen to my old mum.

Oh yes! - I am finally realizing my full potential! And am been published. I was asked to write an article for our in-company magazine (Insite – not available at good book stores everywhere). I even get a byline!!! – Oh the fame! The fame! – do not know how I am going to handle it. Now just to get all my other writings published! (Hustler!!! Are you reading this!!!)

On that note – the hustler note as opposed to the fame note – I got quietly spoken to about my browsing habits off the sat line a week or so ago, so to all of you from the sites that I normally visit and comment on, and read my missive – that’s the reason why I am missing in action. It does mean if I want to retain my fan base (of 2), I will need an internet connection that is not subject to rules and regulations. I am limiting my access to Banking, Newspapers and Blogging! But rest assured I will be back!

Right! - That said – My presentations for tomorrow have completed printing! Oh for a color printer like we had at Unicell to make them look professional! Black and White just does not do it justice!

Have a fun weekend and hopefully I will have pics of the weekend for you all to look at and say “sheesh Ghana is not THAT bad!!”


Be happy 0-0

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

about time you updated! (and apologised) ;)

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home