Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Friday, July 02, 2004

Another Day in the Life of an expectant expat!

28th June has come and gone, so has the 5th and 9th of July. My new date of departure is the 12 July at 13.20pm. 6 hour flight (no smoking - AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH) and some interesting reading relating to baggage allowances.

Accept the fact I am taking my golf clubs and all my camera paraphanalia. Golf Clubs weigh 16kg and all the Camera kit around 4kg. That effectivly leaves me 5kg for clothes and other fun stuff. Quiet chats to the nice lady making my booking , who happily advises me that the additional 10 kg baggage allowance granted to me by favour of my Silver Card Voyager status does NOT apply on the Accra flight. Numerous swearwords later and she does mention that "the company will pay the excess baggage". Bloody hell. Why not mention this sooner? Then there is the nice fact that 3 other people will be flying up with me on a short trip and should not have 25kg with them when they travel. BONUS!! - All excess baggage worries fly out the window.

I do not have a place to stay in Tarkwa and I will be sharing a house for the first few weeks while I do the scout thang and find a cabin for myself. I do value my independence where I live and do not mind people staying with me as opposed to the other way around.

The sat system is apparently installed and hopefully next week I will find out if it is up and running.

Due to a missed deadline - which for some reason no-one told me about - I am working tomorrow to finish processing year end entries.

The weekend has arrived....... time to chill and catch up on my sleep. For some farking reason I still canna get used to waking up at 6:30 am. Bloody hell - I arrive at work at the same time that I used to wake up in the old days. My how the mighty have fallen. On a more positive note :- My computer has had the RAM upgraded and is now a pleasure to work on.

PARTY!!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

*chuckle* the joys of corporates. The missed deadline? Remind them to add you to the distribution lists so you can attend ALL the meetings *grin*

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home