Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Monday, June 07, 2004

New Job, Internet access and Bloody Hell - Why so many injections

Well the new job was duly started on 01.06 and after a few days induction (see what happens when you work for a big company -it entailed a few days of many people telling you all about what they do and who does it). I now go for a week's training on the new accounting software and then one assumes I start some real work.

I still do not have internet access at the office and although I bought my own laptop , I did not think it was a good plan to 'take a look' at their firewalls on my first week. I will live with whatever access I get and use it accordingly. *note to self* "you are not allowed to fight with the firewall for access" (repeat often).

On my first post in this blog you will recall I sent an email to ISP's in Tarkwa and finally got a response.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The officer in charge was indisposed for a while.

We have internet connectivity in Tarkwa. The option we have now is ISDN lease line solution with minimum bandwidth of 64Kbps on a shared network.

There is a Set-up charge of $3,500.00 and the monthly charge is $500.00. These prices are exclusive of 12.5% VAT chargeable in Ghana. This is a turn-key solution which means InternetGHANA will provide all equipment needed for the installation.

Kindly revert for any further clarifications you might require


I think they have got the numbers wrong - fark!!!! I assume they have the numbers wrong.....

Anyways - an email toddles off to africaonline to see if their costs are more in line with my country allowance.

More home news is my daughter has broken up with her b/f and has decided that the UK is too far from home (and regular funds). She returns on Thursday. You should see the HUGE smile on dad's face *chuckle* She canna cook either so starvation still is a huge danger for those at the house once I get into the bush.

In finality:

I toodled off to the company clinic (yeah they have their own clinic) for my innoculations and what turned out to be a full medical as well..... I have ALREADY had my prostate checked this year!!!!!. Luckily it was not that detailed and after been given muti for Polio (they are oral drops and taste awful!!) Tetanus, yellow feaver, Hepatitus, cholera and some other strange water bourne lurgi, I am in a position to enter the final third of my trip planning!

Soooooooo...... HUGE farewell planned for the 19th June at my place - bring booze and underware!!!!!!!!

:>

2 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

*chuckle* Maybe the setup fees include the computer? Do these guys realise you are an individual and not a company?

aha, see, if you set your children free, they learn to fly real well on their own. Despite the example you set *dux*

As to the germ factory you now carry inside your body ... it might keep the malaria mosquitos away *g*

7:55 PM  
Blogger Antoine said...

Nope Nessers: You massaging my prostate makes it a pleasure. *wicked chuckle*

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home