Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

A blog so soon after the last one??

Tis a Tuesday in Tarkwa and I am Blogging once again.

Why you ask – goodness, please do not tell us that you are actually going to blog regularly? We cannot take it!!

Now that we have the sarcasm out of the way, I do have some time available due to everything been up to date and me not been in a very client friendly mood. Ergo – No client visits, some time spent chatting to the lads about cost cutting and numerous emails about anal sex. (do not ask and I will not make you jealous! – hehe)

The weekend was an interesting one to say the least.

I traveled off to Wassa on Saturday am to do a small fire fighting job. The issue had arisen cause the boss man was not quite in touch with job requirements. (which boss man you ask…. Why both of us of course). I have been chirping the lads that they do not seem to be finishing jobs and there was a huge push this month to make sure all the orders we have on file are completed and signed off by the client.

When the GM phones this GM and says “the jobs are not been finished”, I accept what he said. The only problem is when I chat to my lads and their technical walla’s, it seems we cannot finish the one job as it cannot be started until we have a pump. The pump of course supplied by….. the client.

The other job for which we have all the material on site waits for the concrete to cure for seven - ten days. I am educated and the clients GM was not even there. Evidently he chatted to his lads after he kaked me out and learnt the real reasons as well.

That said, I was back at the office and did month end reports and overhead statements until around 4pm when I ran out of steam. A quiet evening at home, on the couch, watching TV and reading my book was in store.

Of course Rudy did not read the script. He phoned while I was on my way home and happily invited me to a braai at his place. Now Rudy has meat from South Africa which is not ruff and tuff like the meat here. So of course I went. Rudy’s house is also inhabited by the “spook of pass out”. I swear, everytime I have visited Rudy I have fallen asleep on the couch while listening to music.

This Saturday was no exception. The issue was we started at 4:30 and by 9:00 I was on the couch listening to the music!
For some reason, my eyes disconnected from my brain. SO much so that I was unable to even think about driving the 800 meters home and slept the night.

Sunday, both Carlos - yes he was at Rudy’s as well on Saturday – spent a very quiet day alternating between the couch and our bed. I slept solid from around 2pm – 6pm and Carlos only woke up at around 9pm. I caught up on a years sleep in one day!

Monday I woke up rather bright eyed and bushy tailed.

And it showed. Monday flew past at a rate of knots and the amount of work I actually got out was surprising even to me!


One thing I did deal with was a letter of demand from a local transporter. He was claiming GHC 10 million cause we ordered a truck and did not use it.

The facts of the case settled around on day 1 he provided a truck to transport a crane to Obuasi. Apparently you could not fit the back side of the crane on the truck let alone the front.

He toddled away and came back with a bigger low bed. The problem this time however was that the tyres were bald, it had no signals and definatly was not even approximating road worthy. Our safety officer chased him away.

For this he is claiming damages because we refused to use his scrap metal to transport a crane that is valued at 50 times more than he earns in a year. The mind boggles.

As my letter ended off….”any and all claims raised against the company will be vigorously defended”

My last post waxed lyrical about the new computer system Ghana Education is using to allocate places at high schools. Well it appears I was not the only one concerned about the development, and there has been a flurry of letters to the press as well as articles as to parents concerns regarding this new system.

Some government employee needs his butt kicked for implementing what to me is a foul system.

What else is there?

Not much

I am Naafi at the moment, it is 4 weeks until I get home (3 Sundays) and this may be a reason.

We are been graced with a visit from our head office walla’s just before I am due to fly back, so that should take care of the last 4 days of my stint.

I have to somehow fit in centre visits for this course I am doing, as well as get my eyes sorted out and get a full medical. The last two catered for by Nessers making the required bookings. 13th October is medical day for me. I am a tad concerned about how my left eye has gone all fuzzy in a few months. This from a lad who has had the same prescription since he was 15. (I am a lot older now). So best I spend some of my hard earned cash on visiting “them that can make educated guesses” and find out what is transpiring.

I have a tutorial due on Monday and another at the end of the month, so best I pull my finger out tonight and hit the books. That of course assumes the light bulb at the desk has been purchased.

Oh yes. I downloaded a wonderful little game called “Approach”. It is an old style air traffic controller game. Quite addictive! After downloading the crack it became even more addictive.

And that dear reader is my news

No humour…..well maybe a little

But as I did say – I as Naafi!!

Have a goody!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

you sound nafi (note: one "a") ;)

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home