Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Sunday, August 28, 2005

I have been remiss!!

Good Morning from an overcast Accra.

Eish, I really have not been too good at updates over the last few weeks so I will try and make up for it.

What has been happening?

Well I have been bouncing between Accra, Tarkwa and Obuasi over the past week or so trying to keep everything together and clocking up the K’s in the car. Couple this with the fact that my CD player is dodgy at the moment and there has been a fair amount of singing in the car as once again the CD sticks inside the unit and I have to wait for a stop to reset everything and get the bloody CD out.

Our friends from Thirdrail appear to have FINALLY got it right and the Accra house has connectivity. The quality of it appears on the face of it good, and it remains to be seen what the uptime turns out to be. This was only achieved after some severe toy throwing which had a conference room full of their technical and sales walla’s trying to please explain to a very unsupporting me what the issue was. They finally agreed to give me time in their office to so my stuff while they battled away into the night.

Last night I arrived in Accra at around 7pm (2 hours to travel 14km – Accra traffic is foul!!) and as it was a tad late to cook, I decided (once again) Nando’s would be a good option. I was to rue that decision.

Chatting to Nessers, I complained of stomach cramps and decided it was time to go to bed. Well lets just say that Nando’s does not taste good second time around. Obviously the chicken had been left lying around in a not too healthy area and had some pretty fun bugs attached. These bugs decided to carry out a body takeover which appears to have failed dismally as they were rudely tossed out over the next four hours.

It is a bugger when the cramps are so bad you cannot lie, sit, walk or stand. I canna recall when I was so sore. Finally got to sleep around 2.30 am. My tummy muscles are sore as hell and I am speaking with a gravelly voice.

Methinks Nando’s is off the list of acceptable foods.

Friday was month end Friday where everyone toddles off for the weekend to spend their monthly pay. True to form our system decided at around 11am to decide it was on time out and no processing on the accounting system was possible. The call to the Helpdesk was met with what you would expect on a Friday afternoon and it is going to be interesting to see if anything is working on Monday. Of course it has to happen at a month end, and it also appears I cannot access via our VPN. Contract recons could be interesting this month.


Friday things kinda got out of hand, and Carlos had purchased 4 bottles of Captains for the house. He also got some meat and wors. It then ended up with drinks and braai and a hangover the next morning. I did not get to watch the rugger as I was required in Obuasi for a meeting. Finished both meetings at 1:30 and decided to do the Accra run so that Sunday can be a chilled day

So much for that – I have two meetings today and one drop off at the Airport – Zack is heading home on R&R – and one pick up of a Larnie from SA office.

Said Larnie will keep me busy in a load of meetings for the next two days.

Business stuff on Wednesday seeing some prospects and back to Tarkwa Thursday. Going to be a fun week,

As can be expected I am not in the best mood…… so lemme do the post and get the pics of the house up.

Hope you smiling

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

So many blogs and only 10 numbers to rate them. I'll have to give you a 9 because you have a quailty topic.

Free Access To More Information Aboutmexico travel

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home