Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

It is a Sin I tell you!!

While awake at the god awful hour of 4:30am trying to get all my stuff entered on the system before I go home, I had BBC in the background.

(Just as an aside, we managed to put 380v into our office plugs which has happily blown every electrical appliance including the VSat System. I am processing entries on dial up *growl*)

In the Philippines, they are mourning the death of a cardinal. Now I fully understand that it is not good to joke about death and rip off the dead people, but this one unfortunately cannot be ignored. (I am Catholic – fallen I admit, so I am going to hell anyways – hehe)

The poor dead Cardinals surname was ------- wait for it ------ SIN!

Now all Catholics should have celebrated when there was the headline

“CARDINAL SIN DEAD”

But instead they were in mourning.

(As all good Catholic’s know Cardinal sin (the act as opposed to the man) is a vile sin that ensures you going straight to hell!!! And I have done a few of those in my life)

Now I ask myself. When your surname is Sin, what on earth propels you into the priesthood? Is it part of a warped sense of humour or is it in defiance of what you started life with.

I mean at the start of his priesthood at the local parish did people say “I am off to church to speak to Father Sin”

Was it part of a diabolical marketing plan? Was there a sign at the gates of the church advertising “FATHER SIN SPEAKS HERE EVERY SUNDAY”

“Come inside and hear Sin”

In the weekly catholic newspaper – wonder if they still have that – (called The Southern Cross in my church), did they have headlines “Sin’s Sermon denounces Sin”

And then the Catholic Church made the lad a Bishop and a Cardinal.

Cardinal Sin Anointed by the Pope – would be a great headline.

If the good cardinal did something really great (and apparently he did a lot of those as he was revered) would be get a headline “Pope praises Cardinal Sin” Surely that would confuse Catholics world wide?


And accept the fact we just had a new Pope elected

Another headline “SIN ELECTED POPE”

I mean good Portuguese catholic mamas would have to spend the next 10 years calling the rosary if that happened.

I am sure the lad could have changed his Surname by deed poll.

It is too late to ask him why he did not!

Rest in Peace Cardinal Sin

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

clearly your brain functions at a higher level early in the morning *chuckle*
Good post!

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home